Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Review

Movie poster featuring Katniss
in the centre with the Mockingjay
symbol on top.
Book title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Format: Paperback
First Published: September 14th 2008
Genre: YA, sci-fi, dystopian
Goodreads rating: 4.43 stars
Movie: 2012
Sequels: Catching fire, Mockingjay
read count: 2
First time I read: January 2012

Hey guys!
I haven't done a review for this blog yet as I have not
read a whole book since I started this. So what I did, was get a review I have already done, and post it on this blog.
When I finish City of Bones, I will definitely do a review for 
that. So here is a review for 'The Hunger Games' 


The Hunger Games is a Young- adult novel written by Suzanne Collins. It has become majorly successful and is the first part of a bestseller series. A film adaptation was made and was released in 2012; Future adaptations of the other two novels are to be released in future years.
The plot of The Hunger Games takes place in the future where North America has become a country named Panem and is split into 12 districts and one capitol, there, in punishment from rebelling against the capitol where a 13th district was destroyed, one young man and women ages 12 to 18 from each district must take part in the Hunger Games. In the Hunger Games they fight for their lives, killing one another until only one survives and wins the annual Hunger Games. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen lives in the poorest district of them all (district 12) and is living with her Mother and younger sister Primrose. She with her best friend Gale hunt
In the forbidden woods for food to keep them and their family alive. The day comes where the two young competitors get chosen. Katniss Everdeen takes her sister’s place in the Hunger Games and must win to keep her family living.
This Novel can be simply said as one of the greatest books of all time. This book might seem scary or frightening to some but this book just shows what could happen in the future and how we could prevent it. The story is just so compelling and I was glued to the book until I finished it. This book was a page turner and as soon as this book finished I was out to WHsmith and instantly brought Catching Fire, The sequel to The Hunger Games. This book left me so shocked because of its amazing details and a great end. 
The characters in this story were so amazing and I loved how much detail Suzanne Collins put in her characters. For example, Katniss can be to some annoying because she is shown not to be sympathetic and quite as some say ‘mean’ to her mother. I just think that everyone is not perfect and Katniss’ flaw is that she is not very sympathetic but Katniss has a reason. I loved that Suzanne Collins told the readers all this and I think that Katniss’ is one of the greatest female character I have ever read in any book. There were so many other amazing characters including Peeta, Gale, Effie, Rue and of course Haymitch. 
Overall this book should be read by everyone and is just so absorbing and really makes you think about life. The other two novels in this series are also as great. Please if you have not, pick up this book right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment