Thursday 7 August 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer: Book Review



After countless recommendations by some of my favourite authors and Goodreads, I finally gave in to read this book, it was really cheap on the kindle so I decided to read it. Initially, before reading it,this book never appealed to me and it looked quite boring, however I was gladly wrong. This book exceeded my expectations, it was a creepy, disturbing psychological thriller and it made me feel like I was going insane just like the main character. I had quite a few problems with this book, hence why I gave it four stars, but I will explain that later on. I really need the sequel now after that ending! I recommend this book if you like creepy thrillers or books with unreliable narrators, but do beware that the book does leave you confused for the majority of the time.

Characters:

+ I really enjoyed the whole Dyer family, they were a really close family and I liked how each person had a role in the book, I also liked how the author didn't ignore their indian ethics and incorporated quite a few indian things in the book.

+ I didn't really like Noah at the beginning but as things started to unfold you saw more of his character. By the end, his role in the book was vital <spoiler> and I am quite interested to see how he is going to use his 'powers' in the next book. </spoiler>

+ One of my favourite things about this book was the unreliable narration by Mara Dyer, you never knew what was true and what was fake, because of her PTSD, you never know what really is happening.

- One issue I had with this book was the forced romance, I thought that sometimes the romance was fine, but other times it just felt really forced and unrealistic, and I thought that it could of been much more better. But I have heard that this issue doesn't come up in the sequel as much.


Plot:

+ I really liked the start of the book, it was really creepy and had a choking atmosphere to it. I really liked the opening chapter with the ouija board, it was frightful and very confusing.

+ My favourite thing about this novel were the death scenes, I know it sounds morbid but they were very well written and really shocking, they left me asking so many questions. The whole Ms Morales section was beyond creepy.

- I wish we had a bit more answers, <spoiler> I wanted to know more about Mara's Death Powers and how they happen, and I wanted to see how her mind worked when she did those things accidently </spoiler>

- The middle section of the book dragged on a bit, and I thought there could of been a bit more paranormal elements there.

+ The ending was amazing, it ended a bit too quick though! I really need to read the second book now!


Overall:

I really enjoyed this book and it was much better than I expected, even though there was room for improvement, I definitely think this book is worth picking up if you like YA or thrillers. Also was it just me, or did anyone notice little Harry Potter references? I thought that was a nice touch! I am definitely looking forward to reading the sequel. My final rating is 4 stars, but if you want a more accurate rating I would say 82%.      


No comments:

Post a Comment